Chocolate Genoise Cake
1/2 GF all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Guar gum + 1 big pinch Xanthan gum
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp apple cider vinegar (ACV)
3tbsp butter (melted)
1 tbsp vanilla essence
1. Sift all dry ingredients together (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, gums). Set aside.
2. Break eggs into a heat proof bowl, add sugar, ACV and salt to the bowl. Heat water on stove, and while it boils bring the flame down to medium heat. Set the eggs bowl on this vessel and whisk for 2-3 mins (do not stop for too long or the egg will cook!). Once the mixture seems well stirred up and gets luke warm, take them off the heat.
3. With the paddle attachment, beat these eggs using a hand mixer at the highest speed setting. The mixture should get thick and viscous like heavy whipping cream (2-3 mins).
4. Add the Vanilla essence to the egg mixture and beat for a few seconds.
5. Add the flour mixture in batches to the beaten eggs and mix using a laddle or whisk. Do not mix vigorously but rather use big strokes and fold the flour in.
6. Add a little of this mixture to the butter in order to thin it out and then put this mixture back into the batter. This will help the butter mix into the batter better. Fold this in too.
7. Grease a cake pan (9 in or 23 cm) and place a parchment paper on the bottom.
8. Put the batter in the pan and set it in a preheated oven at 350F for about 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Remove when done and let cool on a wire rack.
This can be eaten as is or can be used to make Black Forest Cake!!!